Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Name and Number Contest




I'm not sure where this idea came from but I hope we can have a little fun with it. This contest offers the chance for 30 GG, 15 for each half of the contest. The jar in the pictures contain pieces from 20 different games, some have just one piece represented, others have several pieces. Your mission, should you decide to take it, is:

1) to name as many of the games represented as you can. This answer should be emailed to me at: sodakladygamer@yahoo.com.

2) to guess how many pieces are in the jar (which is about 1 1/2 cups in size). This answer can be posted right here on the blog.





~~~~~~~~
Games

Call me crazy if you'd like, but my husband and I really enjoy Fjords but I wondered what would happen if there were more tiles so you play only one round rather than 3. To this end, I bought a second copy and, after marking the tiles so they could be separated out again, we gave this a try. We used 6 farmhouses and all of the field markers.

The game started quite normally but after I'd placed 4 houses, there were still half the tiles to play which meant I would have to very selective with the last 2. I was worried that we would be forced to create an island before we'd gone through most of the tiles since there are many more water tiles, but that didn't happen. In fact, we ended the game with EVERY tile placed! The final result was very close with Richard beating me by 4 points.

We liked this variation which seems to force you to think more carefully about when and where you place your farmhouses and makes the placing of the field markers less obvious since there are several places which demand immediate attention. I'm considering using only 5 farmhouses as a way to make it even tougher.

We only played once but I can see this as a nice change from the normal play. I would also like to try playing with 3 players just to see if that would work. Unfortunately, that means begging or threatening to get my daughter to play with us! I think 3-player would offer a totally different strategy when placing farmhouses since there are 2 interlopers you have to fend off.
~~~~~~~
Until next time, Clubs are trump.

Mary

18 comments:

Bert said...

I'll say 102.

Anonymous said...

I'll guess 121

Anonymous said...

I'll guess 86

Anonymous said...

Gimme 58

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I will go with 115. Final Answer

Phoeniix said...

I like Fjords too! In fact I just had a game of it yesterday. Wish it could be played with more than 2 tho'.

Anyway my guess would be 107.

Anonymous said...

I'll guess 111.

Mutombo said...

lets go with 123.

Anonymous said...

I'll go for 99.

Jonathan said...

I'll guess 133.

Chris said...

75

I can't even begin to figure out which games are all represented.

ekted said...

140

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing 104.

GrillTech said...

I'll guess 155. To be honest I don't think I recognize any of the peices from games. Just call me Mr Unobservant (maybe that explains my win/loss ratio). Looks like a contest is the way to generate replies to a blog post.

Anonymous said...

97 is my guess

Anonymous said...

I'll say 122 pieces.

Anonymous said...

I'll say 108.

Michael Shaver said...

I'd say 167 pieces.

And I think I could get about 1/2 the games in the jar with out searching.

But that just means I need to play more games :)

Mike
"Live to Boardgame"