Saturday, July 08, 2006

Virtual Conventions

We're having a virtual convention this weekend, so we don't have much to say. It's working well - find a bunch of people, get them to set aside a weekend for online gaming, then play play play.

Unfortunately, it doesn't leave a lot of time for writing blogs in between sessions.

What it does do, though, is eliminate the restrictions of time and space that can be so frustrating with friendships that have been made around the world. And with a little flexibility, especially with regard to timezones, everyone can play what they want to. Supplement it with Skype and you almost feel you're in the same room - well, at least on the same continent - as your opponents.

Best of all, you can go to the con without ever getting out of your pyjamas.

We started a GeekList to list what was played, so you can see the wide variety of games that have seen 'table time' this weekend.

I'd be keen to do this another time, maybe as a single day rather than as a whole weekend (Fraser is off to a *real* con today and taking the girls to my mother's so I can play all day). We probably need to schedule more specific games ahead of time, although that can be tricky when working in 4 or 5 timezones and trying to find people to play in everything. I'm not sure what time Fraser came to bed last night but it was after 2.30 (I know, because I left him playing Power Grid...)

Like at a con, I'm trying new games, and seeing old favourites played differently than my regular gaming group plays them; trying new tactics and retiring old ones. It doesn't replace the feel of actually being somewhere with a big group of gamers, but it comes close enough that we are all subconsciously looking for our favourite game night snacks.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think my Princes of Florence opponents might be logging in.

See you in LupusLanding.

Melissa

2 comments:

Friendless said...

Melissa, the real con rocked, pity you didn't make it!

Melissa said...

Fraser had fun on Sunday ... but I had an absolute blast. It was just a shame that they clashed.