Saturday, September 03, 2005

Down in the Flood

It's tough to write about hobbies when something terrible has happened in one's country. My thoughts keep wandering out to the people who are lost and ruined, to the horrific struggles of the sick and the poor thrown into a death-wracked and hostile wilderness, people whose only fault was not knowing what to do even in the face of a hurricane.

So fortunate were those who could at least escape to their relatives and friends before the storm, and thinking on it it makes me grateful for my own friends and family. It also eases the annoyance at myself when my mind eventually does drift back to gaming, because at least I know that our hobby is one that can bring families and friends together; it can't be done by telephone, and in pursuing it people face each other and not a screen. As long as we remember that the people are more important than the pieces of cardboard, we'll be all right, for now.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Hear, hear, Joe.

The scale of this is simply mindblowing.

BGG donations up to over $20k at this point.